The Wednesday Eucharist and lunch is cancelled for August 28th.
The first rehearsal begins with a celebratory potluck. We are interested in having more singers join us! Please contact choirmaster J Michael Compton for further information.
The Used Book Sale is Coming…
The sale will take place Saturday, October 10, 10am - 3pm and Sunday, Oct. 11, 9:00am - 1:00pm under the direction of Elizabeth VanderSchaaf. This important fundraiser stocks our library with up to date materials and equipment.
Here is how you can help make this a success:
- Volunteers are needed on Friday afternoon and evening to set up, sort books, and prepare for the sale.
- Volunteers can also assist during the sale hours on Saturday and Sunday, plus the important task of clean up on Sunday afternoon.
- For more information or to volunteer, please contact Elizabeth VanderSchaaf
Next Cooks' Night Out will be next Wednesday, August 21st, at 6 pm.
We will go to Hoa Bien again-- on the NW corner of University and Lexington.
This past spring and summer St. Matthew's vestry, with the help of a smaller team, has been working to articulate how we as a faith community understand the shape of the Christian life. What does the Way of Jesus look like as lived out by the people of St. Matthew's? What spiritual practices are important to our faith community, and how can we go deeper in those practices together? How can an intentional "way of life," as well as classes, sermons, essays, and conversations dedicated to exploring and living it, help us live out our faith in daily life?
- Story: Learning God's story and finding ourselves in it
- Prayer: Attending with openness to God and the world
- Simplicity: Decluttering our lives so we can be faithfully present to God and one another
- Discernment: Reflecting together on what God is up to in our lives and neighborhood using scripture, tradition, and reason
- Reconciliation: Joining God's movement to heal and bring people into relationship across differences
- Hospitality: Opening space in our hearts and lives to give and receive in relationship with neighbors and strangers in need
- Generosity: Trusting in God's abundance and sharing what God has entrusted to us
- Gratitude: Living lives of thanksgiving for everything God has given us, and breaking bread with others in this spirit.
On Sunday, September 8 the entire St. Matthew's community (all ages) is invited to the Parish Hall at 9:15 for a time of learning and conversation around these practices.
Please Join Us!
THE SECOND BLUE HOUSE COOKOUT!!!
Dr. John and Mrs. Faulata Wathum-Ocama cordially invite you to attend the second Blue House Cookout at their home. This event is a fundraiser for our Ugandan daughters who live at the Blue House, an orphanage in Kazo, Uganda, sponsored by Hope Multipurpose, Inc. (HMI), St. Paul, MN. Your attendance and contribution last year helped buy two cows for Blue House! What a timely action on your part! Blue House is no longer buying milk from outside at a time when the price of milk has doubled.
Our goal for the evening is to raise $2500 to help in purchasing and installing solar panels to provide environmentally friendly, reliable and affordable energy for the girls at BH.
For that reason, we ask that you DONATE BEYOND THE PLATE! We hope that you will come, and that your check will include a gift “beyond the plate.” If you cannot join us on Sept. 7, please send a check to: HMI, c/o SME, 2136 Carter Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108. Your contributions are tax deductible and you will receive a tax receipt if we have your name and address.
Date: Saturday, September 7, 2013
Place: 9127 Sequoia Bay, Woodbury, MN 55125
Time: 2:00 – 6:00 PM
Tickets: Adults: $25.00 per plate
Children: $10.00 per plate
Cash Bar: Beer/Wine $5.00
RSVP: 651-739-8186 or 651-304-0144
For additional information about the Blue House, please visit our website at www.hopemultipurpose.org